Saturday, January 24, 2015

Saturday

It’s a sunny Saturday morning in this Cincinnati suburb, and I have nothing on the calendar. This kind of day always takes me back to the summer of 1997 when I moved into my home.

I had been living with a man in a house we bought together. It was on the opposite side of town in a rundown area. Why? A thousand reasons, all of them bad. He and I were mismatched, and once that fact was acted out enough times to become indisputable, I began looking at condos. I moved to this place in June, so happy.

I hadn’t liked it at first. I’d seen it during an open house when it was empty of furniture except for the lawn chair where the realtor was sitting. It had a tired look for sure, but after seeing the other choices I knew this should be my home.

When I moved in, the place had been a rental unit. The predominant interior color was gray and the décor seventies “modern,” if there is such a thing. I was on a budget, half scared I wouldn’t be able to pay the mortgage, but every week I bought myself flowers at the grocery store. I put the vase of bright blossoms on the coffee table for color.

On Saturdays like this one I marveled at my new place, going up and down the stairs cleaning, fussing with this or that, putting things away, and thinking about furniture. Well, furniture placement; I wouldn’t be redecorating for years.

Slowly I began to make changes, but that isn’t the point. The point is the way the sun was shining on those magical Saturdays when I could do what I wanted. Sometimes I stayed home and puttered, perfectly content. Sometimes I ran errands and bought something small for the house. 


Seventeen years—nearly 18—have passed, and I still love my home. I still go up and down the stairs in the mornings getting coffee or doing laundry or just looking around, glad to be here. The only thing I would do if I could is to copy and paste, putting the clone next to a certain beach in the warm South. The sun has been out, but it’s darn cold here.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Jane I love this post! I can just see it so vividly. Yes, I'm in my condo as well and it was a big move for me after my husband passed away last year. Making decisions on my own. Buying a few pieces to fill in with what we already had. It's scary and exhilerating. I'm missing him so much but realize every day he simply could not go on he was so ill. I'm trying to see the sun even though my life is often cloudy. Be well and enjoy. Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thanks for your comment. I cannot know the grief you have felt in the last year, but I hear it in your words. I do know the feeling that you say was "scary and exhilarating." I needed to find my freedom, which of course is the opposite of your reason to move. Congratulations on that decision. I hope you love your new home and see some sunshine every day. Hugs to you. JC

      Delete
  2. I am doing ok. For all the days I grieve, I have one that is sunny. We each have our own paths to follow and I'm finding there is good in my path. Much to live for as I have three good daughters and eight grandchildren who always delight me. Perhaps we'll meet at WV conference if I / you get to attend this year. I never know what I'll be doing from one day to the next. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too. I do know what I'm doing, and I'll be on the Appalachian Trail beginning March 29 or so. I hope we do meet one day. Don't you live in Columbus?

      Delete